MeToo - Definitely disturbing.

Image Courtesy - Google Images
#Metoo campaign is disturbing. If the intent is
to showcase the magnitude, then I think the effect is done already. I've always told my friends of the opposite sex to be safe while going out in the evening or when it is dark, but I think that's making them weak instead of creating a safe environment.

I remember commenting on a friend's status that good parenting is what will ensure a safe environment and that women don't feel as a prey amongst predators.

But, now I think it is also because we men, don't open up, we don't own up. Physically harassing/ molesting is not the only crime. Doing anything to prove the masculinity, anything chauvinistic, anything in the name of  harmless flirting, anything forced, anything emotionally disturbing which is a result of the egoistic pride men carry in their heads at some point of our life is Wrong.

The #metoo campaign from women has shown us the magnitude, let's accept as men that #IDid at some point of my life have hurt a women. Could be my mom, my wife, my friends and being a part of a group which enjoys jokes on women and justifying it with an excuse saying, it is a closed guys only group.  #wehavealldone it in our lives, hurt a women to show the chauvinistic attitude.

At an office get together, a senior guy from my team makes other men sit in a circle and takes a survey for the most desirable women in the office.

As a guy, I can be well behaved with a girl/women when I'm with her. I can give her all the confidence/trust in the world, but the moment I get along with a guy and enjoy jokes shared on a women's body, be a part of a closed guy's group and share stuff that's not meant to be shared (cause the content was made without consent), speaking up only when my mom, sister, friend, wife is affected but becomes a mute spectator when another girl is affected - then I'm responsible for casual sexism.

Enjoying a casual joke on WhatsApp which stereotypes women and married life is a problem. The male society on the whole - which "thinks" they have been away from causing a physical harassment but has enjoyed a joke on gender stereotyping - is responsible partially for being a bad example to the next generation. People must stop thinking that life of a man, and all his enjoyment changes after he gets married but a women is supposed to work hard - internally and externally - this thought is wrong.

Agreeing to that with shame, but we need to tell them, and more importantly make them feel we will ensure they are feeling safer.

#Imsorry
#wewillberesponsible

Comments

Popular Posts