Honestly, do not lie.


Just soon after finishing my call with an Ex-colleague, I sat down to have my cup of coffee! In my mind, I was already late for my evening run & had something lingering just to keep me occupied enough not to move, and after a long time of being too engrossed in the delusional clouds & mixed random thoughts which kept me blank – I could sense what was disturbing my mind.

Earlier in the day I had messaged a few of my other colleagues to generally enquire, and they just choose to ignore the messages after reading it – thanks to the technology, we now know if they have read and if we have been ignored. That did not sit on my mind, but a conversation which actually happened, was disturbing. There was a definite sigh of relief, when I sensed the direction of where my answer was.

What was so powerful about that conversation which could really move me to observe – an answer which existed superficially, but had a meaning really deep? There were ramifications of thoughts which I had to break down, but the answer was simple, when I smiled without realising it.

While on the call he said, “dude, honestly saying – I really miss working with you man”, several times.

So, the disturbance was not because of this statement explicitly. Remember -  I was not bothered at being ignored, but when someone spoke to me and made that statement, I am here troubling my running plans for the evening, by running that conversation in my mind.

Why?..

Not so long ago, I remember another conversation with a friend, who had asked about my interest towards writing, and what in my understanding is the definition of a successful writer? Is it by the number of copies sold/ money made.

My answer was simple, “A great writer, is someone who does not explicitly write that the house is on fire, but makes the reader feel the heat – which means, when magic ends, words begin”.

So?..

As a matter of fact, I believe that words have the power to cure and move the World. In that sense, have we all not heard or used phrases like, “trust me, honestly I am saying, I promise, I swear, etc.” ?

There are professions which are run by the usage of words in an intelligent way & I am coming to understand this, the more usage of such Clichéd words to convey something, only hampers the purpose of its usage.

Trying to be unbiased, and unassuming – if we can quickly explore why will someone/ I use such words in a sentence while writing/ speaking? The very simple and straight forward answer is to “stress” the purpose of its usage, because the receiver has not received it in that sense.

The underlying, undeniable truth is Рif the purpose had to be created Рit would have been created, even before that stressing happens. The usage of Clich̩d words, only hampers the belief a tad extra.
We all can learn that it does not matter what we say. What the receiver ‘perceives’ matters more, and saying “I am honestly saying/ with all honesty” and actually being honest has a whole world of difference.

If you really want to create an impact, do not lie – honestly!



Comments

Popular Posts